Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Recipe: Gentle Face Cleanser for Sensitive Skin

If itchy-red-bumpy skin sounds familiar, you might be in the same boat I am. I have very sensitive skin, and it definitely lets me know when it doesn't like something.

After a particularly bad flare-up earlier this year, where anything I put on my face (cheap or expensive) irritated my skin, I went on a quest for something gentle and natural (and not too expensive of course).

I actually found that much of my problem was from washing my pillowcases and towels with Tide detergent. I started using a free and clear (also cheaper) brand and my face cleared up almost overnight.

Before I realized how bad the detergent was (and while researching natural hair care), I found a recipe for a natural cleanser for sensitive skin made with baking soda and oatmeal. I happened to have both ingredients in my kitchen, so I tried it, and it really worked great! It smells good and feels really nice and gentle on my skin.

Oatmeal and Baking Soda Scrub
1 part baking soda
2 parts ground oatmeal
Mix together and store in a sealed container.

To Use: Mix a 1/2 tsp or so with warm water in your hand or in a container. Rub gently onto skin and rinse off to gently exfoliate and cleanse. Follow with vinegar rinse.

Vinegar Rinse:
Baking Soda can be a bit too alkaline for your skin's preferred pH level. Vinegar is great to keep that natural balance. I keep a spray bottle in the shower with vinegar diluted in water or herbal tea and spray on after cleansing. You can instantly feel the difference.

After using this method every night (I only rinse with water in the morning), my skin looks and feels great! My face is clean and fresh with a healthy glow. It is not too dry, not too oily, and I almost don't need moisturizer. Best of all- It's cheap, easy, and I already have the ingredients!

Shopping List: 

4 comments:

WillyP & me said...

What exactly is "ground oatmeal?" Did you run rolled oats through the food processor? Also, what vinegar to water ratio did you use for your rinse?

I have been using the aloe vera & baking soda deodorant for a week or so now and LOVE IT, thanks!

Rachel Lynn said...

I'm so glad to hear these natural methods work for other people too!

Yes, I did use a food processor. I measured out the oatmeal and the baking soda into and then blended together until it was powdery.

I also found that small (washed) spice containers work great to keep it in. It stays dry, and you can shake a little bit out into your hand.

For the vinegar rinse, I use about 1 Tbsp vinegar per 2 cups of water.

Hope this helps!
Rachel Lynn

shraddha said...

thanks to all .... coz i m gonna use it.... m an indian my age is 20 n i m suffering from acne frm many years whn i was 15 ..... ya...... lyk tht.....
and i was not getting any natural home made facewash which i can try on my face.....
thanks to all
i will use it and let u people know how it works.......

well i want to ask 1 question can i use this face wash twice a day and 1 more thing some people said tht it is used for exfoliation and we should not exfoliate daily?
plz tell me wats ryt n wats wrong
thank you
hope u will ans soon
arti sharma

Merci said...

So glad I ran across this article! Reminding me to go more natural again 8)