Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Homemade Natural Face Powder Recipe

I have been on a mission to reduce the beauty products I use and replace the 'necessities' with products that are

  • natural
  • inexpensive
  • easy to make, store, and use
  • not irritating to my sensitive skin
  • still going to make me look good
My first success was with a homemade oatmeal/baking soda cleanser (by the way organic oatmeal does make a difference). After that I moved on to a face powder. I had been using the standard Cover Girl pressed powder, but I didn't like what I saw on the list of ingredients.

I did a little research and came up with a few options homemade powder:

Cornstarch
This kitchen staple is the magic ingredient. The first time I tried it I was hooked. It feels soft, lasts all day, and makes your face feels great when washed off. If used lightly you can dust on straight without looking like a ghost. More great uses for cornstarch

French Green Clay
Green Clay absorbs oils and toxins, and helps slough off impurities. It is often used in facial masks (mixed with water and aloe or oils) to tone the skin and tighten pores. As a powder, the green tone neutralizes redness in the skin. When I used this by itself, it felt nice but not quite as nice as cornstarch. I thought the green made my skin a little off color.


Cornstarch/Green Clay Mix
I found a real winner when I mixed the two ingredients. The cornstarch kept me shine-free all day, felt light and natural, and the clay powder added a silky texture and decreased redness. I found an old powder container to reuse and I had a nice soft brush to apply it. The best part is- the whole shebang cost me pennies!

Note: I have fairly pale skin, so this mixture works well for me, but for darker complexions, you could add Organic Cocoa Powder. Cocoa powder is an antioxidant and adds a little pigment (and delicious scent!). See how this chocolate lover incorporates it into her cosmetics.

Shopping List: (You can buy most of these items in bulk to save money, and you will be able to use at least the cornstarch and cocoa for other uses)
NEW! Try a sample before you buy in bulk at my etsy shop !

    7 comments:

    SuzeQ said...

    I came across your post when I was researching "all natural" facial products. I have rosacea, only the flaming red cheeks part, and have been looking for an alternative to use. Commercial products and even some "organic" products do little to hide the redness and I think may even cause some of the sensitivity. Do you still use this recipe, and if so do you have to re-apply? Thanks for any help.
    Lord Bless!
    Susan

    Rachel Lynn said...

    Susan- thanks for stopping by!

    I do still use the powder every day. It lasts all day for me, but I don't wear much makeup. Sometimes I reapply if I'm going somewhere at night, but I've found it lasts much longer than the store bought powders.

    Rachel

    Ma~ said...

    Thank you so much for this idea. I just bought some Cover Girl powder that made me look like a pumpkin, so I thought, that's it, I'm going to try something homemade. I can't wait to get the clay;)

    nsbi said...

    Love your post!
    But what is the ratio please?
    And will I still keep my fair skin tone with this mixture?

    Thanks! :D

    Rachel Lynn said...

    I use about a 1:1 ratio with the cornstarch and green clay. I don't use the cocoa because I have fair skin and I like natural look.

    Hope this helps!
    Rachel Lynn

    allie said...

    Where can I get the clay product? Am so keen to try this!

    Rachel Lynn said...

    I have found the clay online at Amazon.com, or try your local natural food stores in the health and beauty sections.